Faculty: Faculty of Humanities
Degree: Master of Arts
Duration of training: 4 semesters
Language of instruction: English
Head of the programme: Professor Dr. Maria Kurdi, PhD, DSc
Description of the programme:
The goal of the degree programme is to train experts in the field of English Studies who have sound theoretical, methodological and practical knowledge of the English language and can apply such knowledge in practice. They have thorough knowledge and understanding of the literature, culture and the social and political systems of English-speaking countries, including Great Britain, Ireland and Canada, the major trends and research fields of modern theoretical and applied linguistics and their results that mainly apply to the English language. They can apply the acquired knowledge in the business sector, the media, education, diplomacy, at institutions engaged in international relations, in tourism, the publishing sector, tender agencies, local, regional and national government offices and, in general, in the cultural public sphere. They are prepared to pursue studies in doctoral degree programmes.
The programme is offered to full-time students as well as in the form of a correspondence programme. The range of subjects taught in courses of two academic-hour-long sessions (lectures, seminars and consultations) per week is grouped as follows:
(a) Introductory courses in English linguistics, English history, literature and culture
(b) Two paths students choose from:
- specialization in English literature
- specialization in English applied linguistics
The graduates of the MA degree programme have a thorough knowledge of:
- the body of knowledge pertaining to English-speaking cultures (e.g. language, linguistics, literature, history).
The graduates of the MA degree programme are qualified for:
- carrying out tasks and filling positions that require special expertise and education; conceptual and abstract thinking; and practical skills in the field of English Studies,
- pursuing their profession in theory and practice in an interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary manner,
- independent research,
- carrying out independent scholarly work and publishing original studies on the culture, history and literature of English-speaking nations and the English language,
- mediating between English-speaking and Hungarian-speaking cultures at a high level in cultural, economic, political, etc. areas,
- transmitting knowledge pertaining to the English language, English-speaking cultures and societies.
Personal abilities and skills required for the practice of the qualification:
- high level of professional motivation and commitment,
- highly developed ability to analyse,
- ability to explore similarities and differences between different cultures,
- intercultural attitude,
- high level of proficiency in English and good communication skills,
- good presentation abilities.
- Application form
- BA diploma in English Studies (major or minor) - with transcript of records
- Motivation letter (introduction plus field of interest, etc.) in 3000 to 3500 characters.
- Copy of valid passport or national ID
- Transfer receipt of the EUR 140 application fee
- Official copy of the following language exam certificates:
Please send the documents specified above to the following e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please send in all of the required documents. Incomplete applications will not be processed!