Faculty of Humanities
Degree: Master of Arts
Duration of training: 4 semesters
Language of instruction: English
Head of the programme: Prof. dr. Kecskés László
Description of the programme:
The goal of the MA degree programme in International Relations is to trained highly qualified experts with broad education in the social sciences who can interpret Hungary's place and role in the international situation and in Europe; and know the theoretical and practical context of international relations. The graduates of the programme have a high level of proficiency in language and negotiation techniques. Their historical, sociological and professional education enables them to think in terms of analysis and synthesis. The knowledge of their subject matter enables them to understand and predict the economic, legal and political processes of the international system. They are able to put the perspectives of the East-Central European region into context amongst the many challenges of international relations. The graduates know and understand the developmental tendencies of the regions outside Europe and have thorough disciplinary knowledge in the areas of civilisation, world economy, international law, political science as well as practical skills in diplomacy, protocol and negotiation techniques. Equipped with these pieces of knowledge and skills they are properly qualified for pursuing their studies in a doctoral degree programme.
a) The graduates of the MA degree programme have a thorough knowledge of:
- the theories of international relations,
- global economic processes and their theoretical interpretation,
- the historical, legal and political aspects of international relations,
- the policy of the European Union and its institutional and economic system,
- the history and present status of Hungarian foreign policy,
- the theories that address the relationship between the international system and civilisations,
- regional and civilisation studies,
- problem-solving techniques sued in international analyses,
- professional and ethical norms.
b) The graduates of the MA degree programme are qualified for:
- carrying out independent work in the special fields of international studies,
- understanding, predicting and shaping international and European processes of integration,
- preparing and making decisions in the special fields of international economy, politics and law,
- participating in professional and scientific discussions,
- applying integrated knowledge in a wide range of fields in the area of social sciences and foreign policy analysis,
- building international relations,
- conducting negotiations in their special area in a foreign language,
- performing various tasks as diplomats, international experts, researchers, journalists and employees of state administration and multinational companies.
c) Personal abilities and skills required for the practice of the qualification:
- ability to see the essence of issues and creativity,
- ability to form and independent professional opinion,
- problem-centred approach and ability to solve problems,
- responsible behaviour regarding the treatment of knowledge and information when performing international analyses,
- participation in continuing education and openness to self-education,
- tolerant behaviour regarding the analysed phenomena and the theoretical paradigms that they have come to know,
- critical attitude to the analysed phenomena and the theoretical paradigms that they have come to know,
- cooperative attitude: ability to work in teams,
- methodological awareness.
- Application form
- BA Degree in International Relations
For lack of the above degree, other degrees can also be accepted if they include the following disciplines: social science (sociology, philosophy, anthropology), law, economy, political science, history, culture and linguistics - please attach a transcript for the courses you have completed (title, credits)
- Motivation letter (introduction plus field of interest, etc.) in 3000 to 3500 characters.
- Copy of valid passport or national ID
- Transfer receipt of the EUR 140 application fee
- Official copy of the following language exam certificates:
- TOEFL (PBT paper-based): 517 points (www.ets.org/toefl)
- TOEFL (iBT internet-based): 80 points (www.ets.org/toefl)
- IELTS: Overall Band Score: 5.5 (www.ielts.org)
- Cambridge ESOL: B2 level (www.cambridgeenglish.org)
- TELC: B2 level (https://www.telc.net/en.html)
- ECL: B2 level (http://www.ecl-test.com/)
- Oxford Online Placement Test: 70 points (www.oxfordenglishtesting.com)
You do not have to submit an official English test result if one of the following criteria applies to you:
- You have a major/minor in English, i.e. the English language is the field of study (studies in English linguistics or literature),
- You have continued your undergraduate studies in the English language.
Please send the documents specified above to the following e-mail address: email@example.com
Please send in all of the required documents. Incomplete applications will not be processed!
Deadline for application: 31 May
Location of the education: University of Pécs, Faculty of Humanities (H- 7624 Pécs, Ifjúság u. 6., Hungary)
Tution fee: EUR 1800 / semester
Application fee: EUR 140 (non-refundable)
Language skills: If it is necessary, the Faculty of Humanities offers English Preparatory Courses.
Bank details for application fee transfer
Name of beneficiary:University of Pécs
Address of beneficiary:7622 Pécs, Vasvári P. u. 4., Hungary
Name of Bank: Magyar Államkincstár/Hungarian Treasury
(the intermediary bank is: Magyar Nemzeti Bank/ Central Bank of Hungary)
Address of Bank: 1054. Budapest, Hold u. 4.
Swift code/BIC: MANEHUHB
Beneficiary’s IBAN: HU30 10024003-00282716-01110009
Comment field: EUR140 - PST250065, applicant’s name
For more information, please contact (Please send the documents specified above to the following email address):
University of Pécs, Faculty of Humanities
H- 7624 Pécs, Ifjúság u. 6., Hungary